Thursday, April 24, 2014

Education is like...

Education is truly like climbing a staircase. When a student first begins school, they are at the very bottom of the staircase. As the student begins to progress through school, their education increases. As their education increases, we can think of them as taking a step in the staircase. Steps closer to the bottom of the staircase can be consider "foundational". As teachers, we always try to get our students to use previous steps as a foundation, but tell them to NEVER stop climbing. Students can move forward and backwards on the staircase, however it's up to teachers to build the student's knowledge and push them further up the staircase. We, as educators, should never allow the students to settle at a certain stair.

For example, when teaching math, its great to see a student do simple problems such as 5+4=9, but how about pushing them to the next level and trying something more challenging. A child should never be satisfied being at a certain stair. We should encourage our children to push themselves and climb the staircase of education.

As students progress into higher grade levels, they should be closer to the top of the staircase. In some cases, teachers will have students who regress down the stairs. In various cases, teachers will have students who can't make it to the next level. However, it's our job to provide the encouragement, support, and knowledge to get that child back up the stairs and to the next level. This staircase is infinite, and ultimately educators should NEVER let their students stop climbing. Just when you think you've learned it all, there's always another stair to climb.

Overall, the staircase is symbolic of a child's education. The top of the staircase represents higher education, the bottom of the staircase represents little to no education. As educators, we constantly want to build upon our students' knowledge and get them higher up on the staircase. We are the ones who allow them to further themselves. It's a process that involves climbing and pushing the limits. Teachers and students should never want to settle, because there is always another level to be reached.



This course opened my eyes to a lot of topics in education. I would say the three topics that stuck out to me the most were UDL, bilingual education and place-based education. UDL is something I never knew about until I entered this course. I think it is wonderful that schools are trying to become inclusive. At the same time, I'm apprehensive about it. I never thought about teaching special education students, and I'm scared that I won't be effective for them. Therefore, being aware of what's going on and knowing that having special education students in my classroom is possible, I'm becoming more mindful of how to suit them.

In addition, before this course, I never realized how much debate their was about bilingual education. It seems like educators are uncertain on how to best suit bilingual students. After hearing about immersion programs, and how it holds a "sink or swim" philosophy, I know I will advocate for anything BUT that in my school system. I don't think its appropriate that we ask the student to drop their native language, and learn English. I'm in favor of a two-way program where they are allowed to use their native language, and English. I wouldn't want to undermine a student's culture by having them ditch their native language all together.

Lastly, place-based education had a serious impact on me. Until that topic, I never realized how our planet was functioning. It's almost as if some of the people on this earth, have NO concern for the planet at all. I will be the first to admit that I was ignorant to things going on around us. However, as I became aware of how much damage we are doing to this planet, I will be the first to educate my students on how important it is to preserve the planet. I want them to gain an appreciation for nature, before I ask them to save nature. If I can allow my students to love the planet, I know they will fight to save the planet. Therefore, I would like the opportunity to take learning outside of the classroom and allow them to experience nature firsthand.

From my blog, I learned a lot about myself and what I valued. As I had to write about certain topics, and then share my opinion, I became aware to what I truly valued. It was important for me to identify certain values so I know what I will and won't incorporate into my classroom. In addition, it allowed me to gain knowledge into certain topics that I will be able to comment on in the future. From my classmates, I learned how differing opinions could yield to more knowledge. As I read the different responses of my classmates, I became mindful to a variety of opinions. They pointed something out that I didn't know or didn't think about. They ultimately showed me how beneficial it can be to communicate with other teachers later on. What works for one teacher, may also work for me but I will never know unless I consult him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment